Gum Disease – (Periodontal Disease)
Gingivitis is the mildest form of periodontal disease. It affects only the gum tissue and if properly treated, it can be reversed. This bacterial infection is most often caused by plaque and tartar building up where the toothbrush and floss did not reach. Other factors that contribute to this disease includes; consuming too many sugary foods and drinks, or medical issues such as diabetes.
If left untreated, gingivitis may turn into periodontis. This is a very destructive disease stage and research shows that many Americans over age 40 have some type of gum disease. This is the leading cause of adult tooth loss. The bacteria develops in the deep pockets of the tissue, where membrane and bone support your teeth. The symptoms are often painless so the best advice is to maintain good oral hygiene and visit your dentist for routine check-ups.
Risks for periodontal disease include:
- Not practicing good oral hygiene
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Have heart disease, respiratory disease, diabetes, or osteoporosis
- A family member diagnosed with periodontal disease
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Signs that gum disease may be present:
- Loose or separating teeth
- Bite changes
- Partial dentures or bridges not fitting correctly
- Defective fillings • Bad breath (persistent)
- Metal taste in your mouth
- Pus between gums/teeth
- A sore that does not improve after 2 weeks
- Tender or swelling gums
- Bleeding gums
- Gums that recede or pull away from your teeth
If you experience any of these warning signs or symptoms, you may need to schedule a consultation with your dentist. The team at Briglia Dental Group is experienced and can provide you with the best treatment option for your personal situation. Give them a call and find out how you can get a more confident smile.